Brahms: Symphony No 3 & Serenade No 2
Catalogue Number LSO0056
James Mallinson producer
Jonathan Stokes for Classic Sound Ltd, balance engineer
Serenade No 2 recorded at the Barbican, London on 21 & 22 May 2003
Symphony No 3 recorded at the Barbican, London on 16 & 17 June 2004
DSD (direct stream digital) recording
Notes in English / en français / auf Deutsch
'A really beautiful performance of the second serenade ... A delight - this seems to me a new benchmark. It goes without saying that the playing is excellent: the LSO can probably play Brahms symphonies in its collective sleep.'
BBC Music Magazine
'Enchanting ... The sense we have here is of a musician re-discovering a piece he once loved and mistakenly thought he knew.'
Bernard Haitink, London Symphony Orchestra
The first and final movements of Brahms's Third Symphony contain some of the most dramatic music he was to compose, yet both end serenely and enclose two beautiful inner movements. The equally exquisite Serenade No 2, unusually scored for wind instruments, violas, cellos and double basses, was one of his own personal favourites and both receive superb performances under Bernard Haitink in the third part of his internationally acclaimed LSO Live Brahms cycle.
|Performers||London Symphony Orchestra|
2. Serenade No 2 in A Flat: II. Scherzo. Vivace
3. Serenade No 2 in A Flat: III. Adagio non troppo
4. Serenade No 2 in A Flat: IV. Quasi menuetto
5. Serenade No 2 in A Flat: V. Rondo. Allegro
6. Symphony No 3 in F: I. Allegro con brio
7. Symphony No 3 in F: II. Andante
8. Symphony No 3 in F: III. Poco allegretto
9. Symphony No 3 in F: IV. Allegro