Berlioz: The Damnation of Faust
Release date: 8 March 2019
LSO0809 | 822231180920
2 x Hybrid SACD | Jewel case
SACD incl.stereo | multi-channel 5.1
Producer: Andrew Cornall
Engineering: Neil Hutchinson (balance engineer); Jonathan Stokes (recording engineer)
Recorded live in DSD 64FS at Barbican Hall, London 17 & 19 September 2017
Sir Simon Rattle
London Symphony Orchestra
This product is available for pre-order and will be released on 8 March
Sir Simon Rattle and the London Symphony Orchestra mark 150 years since the death of Hector Berlioz with his tempestuous oratorio, La damnation de Faust.
La damnation de Faust is a work born of the composer’s obsession with Goethe’s legendary tale. Once a righteous scholar, Faust allows himself to be corrupted by the devil, and drags the innocent around him into desperation and death. It’s a fable that defies definition – both a tragedy and dark comedy, with a central character both wise and despicable, and a play and epic poem in one.
|Conductor||Sir Simon Rattle|
London Symphony Chorus, London Symphony Orchestra
Bryan Hymel, Christopher Purves, Gábor Bretz, Karen Cargill
1. Pt. I, Scène I - "Le vieil hiver"
2. Pt. I, Scène II/III - Ronde de paysans. "Les bergers laissent ... Mais d'un éclat guerrier"
3. Pt. I, Scène III - Marche hongroise (Hungarian March)
4. Pt. II, Scène IV - "Sans regrets j'ai quitté les riantes campagnes"
5. Pt. II, Scène IV - Chant de la Fête de Pâques. "Christ vient de ressusciter!"
1. Pt. III, Scène IX - Prélude