Beethoven: Symphonies Nos 5 & 1
Catalogue Number LSO0590
James Mallinson producer
Jonathan Stokes for Classic Sound Ltd
sound engineer (Symphony No 5)
Neil Hutchinson for Classic Sound Ltd
sound engineer (Symphony No 1)
Recorded April 2006, Barbican, London
DSD (Direct Stream Digital) recording
Notes in English / en français / auf Deutsch
Performance: ***** Recording: ***** 'Without being quirky Haitink presents it in a way that feels utterly fresh... the results are exhilarating.'
BBC Music Magazine
‘The best Beethoven [Haitink] has ever done, and the same might be said for the LSO.’
'An excellent Fifth... Such instinctive, unostentatious musicianship is as rare now as it ever was.'
'Haitink's unfailing musicality and sense of proportion make this Beethoven 5 a modern-day reference much like the Klemperer 10in LP fifty years ago.'
Bernard Haitink, London Symphony Orchestra
Beethoven again raised the expressive force of the symphony with the Fifth and introduced a theatrical element to it. Beginning with the most famous phrase in classical music and one of the most joyous, uplifting movements as a finale it is an exhilarating experience. Beethoven didn't complete his first symphony until he was almost 30 and it marks the beginning of his remoulding of the Symphony away from the Classical ideals of Haydn.
|Performers||London Symphony Orchestra|
2. Symphony No 5 in C Minor: II. Andante con moto
3. Symphony No 5 in C Minor: III. Allegro
4. Symphony No 5 in C Minor: IV. Allegro
5. Symphony No 1 in C Major: I. Adagio molto - Allegro con brio
6. Symphony No 1 in C Major: II. Andante cantabile con moto
7. Symphony No 1 in C Major: III. Menuetto & trio: allegro molto e vivace
8. Symphony No 1 in C Major: IV. Adagio - allegro molto e vivace