Tippett: A Child of Our Time [download]
Catalogue Number LSO0670
James Mallinson producer
Neil Hutchinson and Jonathan Stokes for Classic Sound Ltd balance engineers
Recorded December 2007, Barbican, London
DSD (Direct Stream Digital) recording
Notes in English / en français / auf Deutsch
Gramophone Magazine’s Editor's Choice
'On this occasion the Classic Sound engineers and editors have managed a good blend of the intimate and the intense…There are emotional depths here which turn this recording into something very special.’
Classic FM Magazine’s Opera and Vocal Disc of the Month
'Davis and his fine solo team miraculously project a searing message of injustice known to all too many children of our time. The octogenarian's astonishing energy, fully matched by the LSO, fuels a great performance from the London Symphony Chorus. Unmissable.'
‘As Tippett’s most ardent champion, Sir Colin may have taken a different, less emotional approach to this score than the composer himself, but in this live performance from just before the 10th anniversary of Tippett’s death he’s movingly passionate and eloquent.’
'Colin Davis's touch is masterly ... very moving indeed.'
International Record Review
'Even finer is the LSO itself: you can feel the intensity right from the opening notes, especially from the strings, and telling phrases stand out time and time again.'
BBC Music Magazine
Sir Colin Davis, London Symphony Orchestra
Tippett’s response to the infamous Krystallnacht pogrom against the Jews in 1938 was his first major statement as an artist. Tippett took the title, A Child of Our Time, from a novel about a Nazi solider who suffers for showing compassion, whilst the intensity of the piece is heightened by his use of spiritual songs at the end of each section.
|Conductor||Sir Colin Davis|
|Performers||London Symphony Chorus, London Symphony Orchestra|
|Soloists||Indra Thomas, Mihoko Fujimura, Steve Davislim, Matthew Rose|
2. A Child of Our Time: Nos 3-5. Scene: Is Evil Then Good?: Chorus of the Oppressed, When Shall the Userers' City Cease
3. A Child of Our Time: Nos 6-7. I Have No Money for My Bread - How Can I Cherish My Man In Such Days
4. A Child of Our Time: No 8. A Spiritual, Steal Away
5. A Child of Our Time: Nos 9-15. A Star Rises in Mid-Winter - Scene, O My Son!
6. A Child of Our Time: No 16. A Spiritual, Nobody Knows the Trouble I See, Lord
7. A Child of Our Time: Nos 17-20. Scene, the Boy Becomes Desperate In His Agony - Men Were Ashamed of What Was Done
8. A Child of Our Time: No 21. A Spiritual of Anger, Go Down Moses
9. A Child of Our Time: Nos 22-24. The Boy Sings In His Prison, My Dreams Are All Shattered - the Dark Forces Rise Like a
10. A Child of Our Time: No 25. A Spiritual, O, By and By
11. A Child of Our Time: Nos 26-27. The Cold Deepens, the Soul of Man
12. A Child of Our Time: No 28. Scene, the Words of Wisdom Are These - Praeludium
13. A Child of Our Time: No 29. General Ensemble, I Would Know My Shadow and My Light
14. A Child of Our Time: No 30. A Spiritual, Deep River