Weber: Der Freischütz [download]
Catalogue Number LSO0726
HD FLAC 24bit 96kHz [stereo]
MP3 320 kbps [stereo]
James Mallinson producer
Jonathan Stokes and Neil Hutchinson for Classic Sound Ltd balance engineers
Recorded live at the Barbican, April 2012
DSD (Direct Stream Digital) recording
Notes in English / en français / auf Deutsch
BBC Radio 3 CD Review’s Disc of the Week
‘Davis and the cast are absolutely bewitching in the dark magic of the Wolf’s Glen scene.’
Performance: **** Recording: ***** ‘The orchestral textures are pristine, the tempos and colours bracing and plaintive, with faultless work from clarinettist Chris Richards.’
BBC Music Magazine
***** ‘One of the marvels of [Davis’] old age was the vitality he continued to bring to his music-making, combined with the wisdom of experience. Both are in evidence here, reinforcing Der Freischütz’s reputation as one of the most tuneful and psychologically profound operas in the repertoire.’
**** 'A thoroughly useful recording.'
**** ‘[Davis’] account of Weber’s score captures both its folkish ebullience and the Gothic horrors of the Wolf’s Glen scene.’
‘A moving testament to the late Sir Colin Davis, as well as a thrilling performance in its own right.’
‘This release is a fitting tribute for a conductor who knew precisely what he wanted in terms of expression and colour, and who was blessed by having an orchestra – the LSO (of which he had been both Principal Conductor and President) – that could deliver it.’
‘Weber at his most ingenious and Davis’ performance captures the music’s ominous and magical allure.’
New York Times
Sir Colin Davis
London Symphony Orchestra
Weber's eerily fantastical Der Freischütz is heralded as one of the cornerstones of Romantic opera, being the first in operatic history to draw on traditional German folk tunes and elements of Romanticism. The evocative and colourful orchestration of the 'Wolf's Glen' scene, the most gruesomely expressive rendering of evil ever found in a musical score, is particularly impressive. Much of the music is instantly familiar: several of the melodies have been adapted as hymn tunes, and the Overture regularly appears in the concert hall.
Watch the video trailer here
|Conductor||Sir Colin Davis|
|Performers||London Symphony Chorus, London Symphony Orchestra|
|Soloists||Christine Brewer, Sally Matthews, Simon O'Neill, Lars Woldt, Stephan Loges, Martin Snell, Gidon Saks, Marcus Farnsworth, Lucy Hall|
1. Der Freischütz: Overture
2. Der Freischütz, Act I: Introduction - "Victoria!"
3. Der Freischütz, Act I: Terzett mit Chor - "O! diese Sonne"
4. Der Freischütz, Act I: Scene, Walzer und Arie - "Nein! Langer trag' ich nicht die Qualen"
5. Der Freischütz, Act I: Lied - "Hier im ird'schen Jammerthal"
6. Der Freischütz, Act I: Arie - "Schweig'!"
7. Der Freischütz, Act II: Duett - "Schelm! halt fest!"
8. Der Freischütz, Act II: Ariette - "Kommt ein schlanker Bursch gegangen"
9. Der Freischütz, Act II: Scene und Arie - "Wie nahte mir der Schlummer"
10. Der Freischütz, Act II: Terzett - "Wie? Was? Entsetzen!"
1. Der Freischütz, Act II: Finale - "Die Wolfsschlucht"
2. Der Freischütz, Act III: Entre-Acte
3. Der Freischütz, Act III: Cavatine - "Und ob die Wolke sie verhulle"
4. Der Freischütz, Act III: Romanze und Arie - "Einst traumte meiner sel'gen Base"
5. Der Freischütz, Act III: Volkslied - "Wir winden dir den Jungfernkranz"
6. Der Freischütz, Act III: Jagerchor - "Was gleicht wohl auf Erden"
7. Der Freischütz, Act III: Finale - "Schaut, o schaut!"