Dvořák: Symphonies Nos 6–9
Catalogue Number LSO0071
James Mallinson producer
Tony Faulkner and Jonathan Stokes balance engineer
Symphony No 6 recorded September 2004, Barbican, London
Symphony No 7 recorded March 2001, Barbican, London
Symphony No 8 recorded October 1999, Barbican, London
Symphony No 9 recorded September 1999, Barbican, London
High density recordings
Notes in English / en Francais / auf Deutsch
CD of the Week ‘A winning combination of Davis’ heart-warming direction, the LSO’s refulgent virtuosity and seductive phrasing, and first-rate engineering’ Classic FM
Classical CD of the Week 'Sumptuous ... an unmissable bargain.'
Sunday Times Symphony No 6
'A resplendent Sixth ... it blazes with Bohemian warmth and vivacity.'
Daily Telegraph Symphony No 6
'Colin Davis's performance of the Sixth joins his excellent recordings of Dvorák's last three symphonies ... His attention to orchestral detail imparts an almost chamber-music feel that it entirely beneficial.His reading of the first movement is marvellously infectious ... There is a wealth of ravishing detail in the slow movement and the finale is magnificently structured.'
BBC Music Magazine Symphony No 6
'This Sixth bespeaks the freshness of a new discovery ... buy with confidence. It's really exciting.' ClassicsToday.com Symphony No 6
'The LSO Live label was launched with the release ... of Dvorák's Eighth and Ninth symphonies, both of which immediately became benchmark recordings for those works.This new CD ... is surely destined for similar status.' Daily Telegraph Symphony No 7
'Colin Davis and the LSO give a tremendous account ... gorgeously played ... brilliantly executed.' Evening Standard Symphony No 7
'Davis masterminds a performance of imposing authority ... definitely one to snap up.' Gramophone Symphony No 7
Outstanding Recording 'More successfully than any other recording, he captures the slow movement's elusive heart of darkness.'
BBC Music Magazine Symphony No 8
'Magnificent performances ... a joy from start to finish.' The Express Symphony No 8
'Highly successful ... Full marks!'
International Record Review Symphony No 8
'Excellent.' Mail On Sunday Symphony No 8
'Davis offers a story and a sense of conviction that place his performance in a wholly different league.' BBC Music Magazine Symphony No 9
'Magnificent performances ... a joy from start to finish.' The Express Symphony No 9
'Highly successful ... Full marks!'
International Record Review Symphony No 9
'Excellent.' Mail On Sunday Symphony No 9
Sir Colin Davis, London Symphony Orchestra
To celebrate the 175th anniversary of Dvořák we are glad to offer a 20% discount on all Dvořák titles until the end of the year on LSO Live.
|Conductor||Sir Colin Davis|
|Performers||London Symphony Orchestra|
1. Symphony No 6 in D Major: I. Allegro non tanto
2. Symphony No 6 in D Major: II. Adagio
3. Symphony No 6 in D Major: III. Scherzo (Furiant)
4. Symphony No 6 in D Major: IV. Allegro con spirito
1. Symphony No 7 in D Minor: I. Allegro maestoso
2. Symphony No 7 in D Minor: II. Poco adagio
3. Symphony No 7 in D Minor: III. Scherzo: vivace; Poco meno mosso
4. Symphony No 7 in D Minor: IV. Allegro
5. Symphony No 8 in G Major: I. Allegro con brio
6. Symphony No 8 in G Major: II. Adagio
7. Symphony No 8 in G Major: III. Allegretto grazioso
8. Symphony No 8 in G Major: IV. Allegro, ma non troppo
1. Symphony No 9 in E Minor, 'From The New World': I. Adagio-allegro molto
2. Symphony No 9 in E Minor, 'From The New World': II. Largo
3. Symphony No 9 in E Minor, 'From The New World': III. Scherzo - molto vivace
4. Symphony No 9 in E Minor, 'From The New World': IV. Allegro con fuoco