Mahler: Symphony No 3 [download]
Catalogue Number LSO0660
James Mallinson producer
Neil Hutchinson and Jonathan Stokes for Classic Sound Ltd balance engineers
Recorded September 2007, Barbican, London
DSD (Direct Stream Digital) recording
Notes in English / en français / auf Deutsch
eMusic’s Best Albums of 2008
'I've never heard the opening Pan Awakes music more marvellously vivid ... you won't hear more brilliant playing than the LSO's.'
'The complex first movement unfolds like a musical pageant and the LSO's playing is first rate.'
The Sunday Telegraph
'Gergiev's epic struggle to transcendence taps into something powerfully, movingly human.'
Valery Gergiev, London Symphony Orchestra
Following his principle that “the symphony must be like the world. It must embrace everything”, Mahler’s all-encompassing Third Symphony is his attempt to give all aspects of nature a voice. At its premiere it generated both praise and outrage from critics, some of whom were bewildered by its enormity.
|Performers||Tiffin Boys' Choir, London Symphony Chorus, London Symphony Orchestra|
1. Symphony No 3: I. Kräftig. Entschieden
1. Symphony No 3: II. Tempo Di Menuetto. Grazioso
2. Symphony No 3: III. Comodo. Scherzando. Ohne Hast
3. Symphony No 3: IV. Sehr Langsam. Misterioso
4. Symphony No 3: V. Lustig Im Tempo Und Keck Im Ausdruck
5. Symphony No 3: VI. Langsam. Ruhevoll. Empfunden